Sunday, November 18, 2012

"How do you measure a day in the life?"

I live in a world measured in millimeters... tenths of millimeters.  You have no idea how large a millimeter is until you are off my a millimeter... it's an ugly expanse of metal, that extra millimeter.

This small, exceedingly small measurement can be such a pain... or it can be a beautiful region in which to play.

But really, what all this talk about millimeters has really made me think about change... internal change, the small almost imperceptible steps that I take towards myself.

Sometimes they're so small!  So frighteningly small... I feel like I'm not moving at all.  And sometimes they're so large!  So frighteningly large... I feel like I'm out of control.

But any millimeter towards myself is a millimeter that I will take!

And I've been thinking about about the word "relentless" lately.  The dictionary defines relentless as "showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength."  I think it is a word that I'm trying to embrace... the world is funny place; we all say that we embrace change and intelligence and talent.  But really, those words terrify some people, and in a world full of knock-offs and gimmicks, a lot of people have lost the ability to spot the genuine article.

I'm not saying that I'm the genuine article (although what artist doesn't allow herself to hope such a thing?), but what I am saying is that sometimes it's difficult to tell in which direction I'm walking.

Lately, I find myself deciding to decide for myself.  Relentless.  It's become a small, hopeful prayer in my heart.  Relentless.

No comments:

Post a Comment