Sunday, December 1, 2013

You Never Forget Your First

Believe it or not, this is the very first piece of metalwork that I made as an undergrad at Edinboro University: copper, brass, and nickle silver.  I completed this piece in the fall of 2006.
This was a cold-connecting assignment that required the piece to have moveable parts.  And simply put, cold-connecting means no heat, no torch, no soldering.  I made this piece entirely with my jeweler's saw, my files, and my riveting hammer.  To satisfy the requirement for movement, I made this piece to act like a folding screen. 

I did three different sketches for this project... each of them more whimsical than the last.  I finally settled on this idea after having done some research on Japanese strolling paths.

Strolling paths are often main features in Japanese gardens; they are meant to promote relaxation and contemplation, and they often include features like sudden turns, reflecting pools, or secluded benches to promote introspection.

And I don't mean to wax poetical or anything (okay, maybe I do just a little), I just adored the idea of being able to create my own path.  Plus, since I was living in a dorm room, I relished any chance to dream about a secluded, outdoor space!

No comments:

Post a Comment